Eagle Scout Project Brings Picnic Tables to Courtyard

Max+Patterson+outside+in+the+courtyard.+

Max Nudi and Katie Sanford

Max Patterson outside in the courtyard.

Elizabeth May, Reporter

Looking for a place to eat lunch or study outside when the weather is nice? The courtyard outside the library is a great place to go, but it’s getting a little run down. However, Max Patterson, a sophomore, has been working on his Eagle Scout project this fall in the courtyard. He is building six picnic tables, two adirondack chairs and doing some landscaping.

To earn his Eagle Scout, Patterson has to complete a community service project, be in a leadership position within the troop, and earn the required merit badges. According to Patterson, “It recognizes that a boy has developed the skills involved in scouting.” The Eagle Scout is a huge honor in scouting.

Patterson approached Mr. Mennow about a project that he could do with the school and the courtyard idea was what they came up with. To raise money for his project, Patterson had a car wash in McKean as a fundraiser at the beginning of the school year. He raised about $420 to cover the costs of wood and other supplies for the project. Some of the other boy scouts helped Patterson with the completion of his project.
It is yet to be decided how much more of the project Patterson will be able to complete at this time due to the weather. He is hoping to earn his Eagle Scout around December, but he needs to finish his project. From scouting, Patterson has learned camping skills like cooking and knot tying, but most importantly “a lot about leadership.”

He advises other boys to stick with scouting because it “gets better as you advance and becomes more fun!”