No Lack of Fun in November

Alex Lofgren

November is a month commonly associated with Thanksgiving, a time of turkey and Pilgrims. However, there are many other events happening this month. Some events may even be unrelated to celebrating at all, like the opening of Deer Rifle season on Nov. 18. Some events could be occurring as close as GM, others may be occurring as far away as New York City, in the case of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Some events may even or be rather insignificant, like the school picture retake day on Nov. 13. Here are three other events that are happening this November.

Veterans Day Observance

Where:  Edinboro University, in front of Reeder Hall

When: Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.

Details: This event, sponsored by the Fighting Scots Battalion U.S. Army ROTC and Edinboro University Veterans Success Center and lead by the Edinboro University ROTC, will start with a flag ceremony at the flagpole in front of Reeder Hall. There will be several speakers, including Edinboro University President Julie E.Wollman, LTC Marc Beckage, a professor of military science, and Andrew Matt, the Veterans Success Center coordinator. There will also be a guest speaker by the name of Andrew Hammaker, a Navy veteran. Mr. Hammaker will speak of the importance of veterans in the community. This event is open to the public, as well as the University Faculty and Students.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Where: Erie Insurance Arena

When: Nov. 18, two shows, one at 4 p.m., the other at 8 p.m.

Details: The Trans-Siberian Orchestra will stop by Erie during their winter tour, The Ghosts of Christmas Eve. The show will highlight the best songs of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Their performance will include all the hallmarks of a Trans-Siberian performance, including lights, lasers, and sound. This orchestra has a history of entertaining their audience. Ticket prices start at $40 dollars.

General McLane Fall/Winter Musical: Sweeney Todd

Where: General McLane High School Auditorium

When: Showings on Nov. 19-21 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 22 at 2:30 p.m.

Details: Directed by Mr. Yates, this musical is the product of hard work by the cast and crew involved in this project and should prove to be a show stopper.  Tickets start at $7 for students and $10 for others. 

General McLane Holiday Arts Fair

Where: General McLane High School

When: Nov. 21 at 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Details: With around 80 vendors coming to sell arts and crafts, the arts fair will be a busy place. With many handmade arts and crafts ranging from woodcrafts to quilts and jewelry, the fair will offer much variety. Of course, arts and crafts sales won’t be the only thing at the fair. There will also be music performed by the district’s music department, as well as games for children. All proceeds will benefit the General McLane Foundation Scholarship Program, “Remembering our past, investing in our future.”

Erie Polar Plunge

Where: Presque Isle Beach #7

When: Nov. 21 at 11:45 a.m.

Details: For a $50 dollar fee, participants in this event will be “freezin’ for a reason.” That is, they will be taking a “plunge” into the freezing Lake Erie. This event is sponsored by the Special Olympics of Pennsylvania and all proceeds will go to supporting their athletes, including our unified track team here at GM. All participants will also be given a free Erie Bayhawks ticket for any one game within three weeks of the event.