The Red Sea To Be Orange For Senior Night

Nate Myers& Tre' Schoolfield, Reporters

This Friday’s football game is more than just a football game; it is the football team’s senior night, and will also be an “Orange Out.”  All students and fans are being asked to wear orange in an effort to spread awareness for Leukemia, a type of cancer affecting the blood.

The “Orange Out” is being held in honor of a class of 2014 graduate, Sonny Greishaw, who was recently diagnosed with the disease.  Greishaw was known for always putting her friends before herself, being a captain on the soccer team and working at John Wildwood’s Pizza. Many of her former GM classmates and family will be in attendance at the game.  

Alumna Mallory Smail, will be returning to GM to help lead the awareness and fundraising efforts. Smail, along with other students, are selling orange wristbands saying “Sonny’s Sunshine” for $1.   T-shirts will also be sold with all proceeds being donated to Greishaw and her family.  Senior Hailie Kelly is assisting Smail with these efforts and also plans to hold a bake sale on the day of the game for Greishaw. “I decided to do a bake sale because Sonny loves all sorts of sweet treats. Anything chocolate and could melt in her mouth.” 

Leukemia is a progressive disease in which the bone marrow and other blood-forming organs produce high numbers of white blood cells causing patients to become very sick, leading to anemia and other symptoms. Greishaw is currently battling the disease at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, where she was residing for college.  T-shirts & wristbands as well as photos and video taken at the game will be mailed to her and her family there.  

Also during the game, the eleven seniors football players will be recognized for their hard work this season and applauded for participating in their final home football game alongside their parents. Be sure to come out on Friday and show your support for Greishaw and the seniors.