Mental Health Awareness at GM

Sean Taylor, Reporter

General McLane high school will be holding events for Mental Health Awareness all this week.   Show your support and help raise awareness by participating in the daily events!  

Each day we will wear a different color to represent a different mental health disorder. Also all week in the cafeteria student council will be granting a handful of wishes  on Friday the 18th!  Wishes will cost $1/each and should be reasonable. (Example:  “I wish…. I had a chocolate glaze donut during tutorial.”)

Here’s how the week will be laid out:

• On Monday we will wear blue for depression, also look for “Happy Notes” throughout the building!
  • On Tuesday we will wear purple for eating disorders, and there will be a photo booth during lunch to celebrate everyone’s unique and special beauty.   You may also write a positive note to a peer or teacher, and have it delivered Wednesday.  
  • On Wednesday we will wear orange for self-harm, and positive notes to teachers and peers will be handed out throughout the day.  
  • On Thursday we will wear green for anxiety, and also for St. Patrick’s Day.  Students will do relaxation techniques during their advisory.  
  • For the final day of our Mental Health Awareness we will wear white for stress, and we will be holding a Make a Difference assembly, and some of the wishes student council collected during lunches will be granted for lucky students to enjoy.

Finally to wrap up the week there will be a Lock-In for students to stay overnight at the high school.  This will begin Friday evening and will be going until 8 a.m the next morning. Student Council is hoping for a big turnout at this event-the first of it’s kind in several years.