Wrestling Senior Night

Jon Carrier, Reporter

On February 11 the GM wrestling team took on Perry, Ohio in an final battle at home, and for the seniors, it was the last team meet they would wrestle in high school. With a couple empty holes in the lineup, the Lancers were able to pin their way back late in the match to make the score.

Seniors Riley Vaughn, Ethan Laird, and Jacob Lenhardt all recorded three consecutive pins to leave it up to sophomore Andrew Brest to bring it home for the Lancers when they were down by two. Brest wrestled a tough match, but pulled through with a 5-0 decision to put up three more team points for the Lancers. The final score was 39-38 and the seniors finish on a high note in front of the home crowd!

“The four years went by too fast, but I’ve really enjoyed it and have had a lot of fun,” stated Laird, who is now at 129 career wins.  Laird only needs seven more to break the all-time win record at General McLane. Senior Owen Watkins is also looking for a couple more wins as he is trailing the 100 win mark by four wins. He is also one more fall away from 20 on the season.

With post-season wrestling coming up, the seniors look to continue their success and finish their high school careers on top. They will compete again in the District 10 AAA Tournament on February 24 and 25.