Baseball Preview

Gaylene Faye

Jon Solberg pictured on the mound at last year’s D10 playoff game, will miss the start of the season.

Jon Carrier, Reporter

The first sign of spring: baseball. Practices have officially started for spring sports, and this year’s baseball team is setting its goals high. However, they will start the season without one of their star senior players. Jon Solberg will be missing at least half of the season due to a recent heart procedure.

“I feel mostly frustrated because I won’t be able to be out on the diamond with the squad to start the season. It’s hard to watch the game I love knowing that I could be on the field,” Solberg remarked about the upcoming season.

Solberg was recently diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, a condition that causes the heart to beat rapidly. Unfortunately, this condition caused his basketball season to be cut short during the team’s playoffs. He underwent surgery on March 2 to burn off the troubling circuit in his heart. After a long day at the hospital, everything went well, and he was sent home the same day to rest.

“I hope to return from this setback and have the best season of my high school career. I hope the team can also come together and win the district championship,” stated Solberg.

Solberg was named All-District and All-Region in baseball last year. Seniors Alex Jay, Ethan Laird, and Hunter Meyette were also named second team All-Region. These standouts, along with the rest of the team, are looking to create a new name for GM baseball.

“We can’t help what happened last year.  We can only focus on what’s ahead of us,” said Coach Mike Dombkowski during tryouts.

Last year, the boys never lost a home game, but they ended 14-4.

This year’s returning varsity team is almost all seniors. Most of them have been playing with and against each other since tee-ball, and they are not looking to end on a bad note. After years and years of ball, these boys are strongest together and are looking to bring home their first high school district title.

“I’m looking forward to making it as far as possible while having fun with my brothers as it happens,” stated Jay.