Broadway Dinner Rolls Into 36th Year

Chiara Brandstätter, Reporter

You may have seen students wobbling around the hallways on roller skates lately. You may have had some questions, like, “Why are people skating in the hallways?,” and, “Is that even allowed?” “Is it a recycled trend?”

The answer is no; it is not a recycled trend, and normally it is not allowed. People are skating in the hallways to train for this year’s Broadway Dinner which will include a piece where people dance on skates to the song “Xanadu” from the musical comedy of the same name.

It’s the first time in the history of Broadway Dinner that people dance on skates, and to make the show as good as possible, the students need to skate around the halls of the school so they are ready for performance day. Broadway Dinner has existed at GM for 36 years, and this is the 10th year it will takes place at McLane Church. The show will run from March 31 to April 2.

“Xanadu” is not the only great song in the lineup for this year’s Broadway Dinner.  Other songs include “Schuyler Sisters” from “Hamilton,” featuring Maddie Dillen, Delaney Gatenby, and Melina Walter as the Schuyler sisters and Luke Palchek as Aaron Burr; “Be Prepared” from “The Lion King,” starring Henry O’Neill; and “What is This Feeling?” from “Wicked” with Walter and Olivia Graham.

Mr. Yates and his wife have organized the show together for 29 years. This year they chose almost half of the pieces to be performed, even before the Broadway Dinner class started. “This allowed us to plan ahead a little more for rehearsal purposes,” Yates stated.

This change was well received by the students “The Yates’ know what the students are capable of and what is going to look good on stage,” remarked Gatenby.

On his favorite song, Mr. Yates said, “If I had to choose one, I would say the opening piece that is a mash-up of three Andrew Lloyd Webber shows currently on Broadway. They are ‘School of Rock,’ ‘Cats,’ and ‘Phantom of the Opera.’ We had this piece custom arranged for our show.”

Mr. Yates is also excited for the closing piece, “Come on in,” and the message it stands for: “vive la difference,” which is an expression of the approval of people’s differences. The song is from the musical “Taboo.”

Tickets for Broadway Dinner went on sale March 6 are currently limited to the Friday and Sunday performance. To buy tickets, go to GM’s website, print out a ticket order form, and return it to the high school.