Students “Go Green” to Win Graphic Design Competition

Emma Campbell, Reporter

Two General McLane students used their creativity and passion for graphic design to win a contest sponsored by Bayhawks Basketball in partnership with Erie Arts Culture. The theme of the contest was “Keeping Erie Green,” and entrants designed new uniforms for the team centered around this theme. The winners? Freshman Kaley Berger and sophomore Ellen Eisert respectively.

To add a twist, the third place winner was our own Mrs. Hodas!  How does she feel about losing to her own students?  

“I love that two of my kids totally smoked me in this competition… how awesome is that?” Hodas proudly commented.

She assigned the “Keeping Erie Green” contest as a project in her Graphic Design One class. The project was graded, and those who wanted to enter could.

“I didn’t see a reason not to enter,” said Berger.

A committee selected the winners based upon how the designs incorporated an iconic Erie with “green” elements.  They felt that Berger’s design depicted Erie pride, and a greener city, equally well. Many local artists submitted to this contest, with GM entrants turning in all three award winners.

Berger won $250 and will be recognized at the Bayhawks game on March 25 as the team sports uniforms with her design. She also gets to assist in choosing a community project for LECOM to sponsor.  In addition, the players’ jerseys featuring her design will be auctioned off during the game with the proceeds going to local community projects to refurbish and reclaim public spaces in Erie County.  Eisert and Hodas were both awarded tickets to the game with recognition for their achievement and prize packages.

The Bayhawks teamed up with Green Mountain Energy to sponsor “Green Week” the week of March 19.  Throughout the week they will be promoting energy conservation and environmental sustainability throughout Erie County.  

So how did Berger and Eisert choose their winning designs?  “You just know which one is going to be the one,” they agreed.