Lady Lancers Soccer: A Salute to our Seniors

Beth Bastow

Lady Lancers Varsity soccer team

Jaymie Kavelish, Reporter

Last year was a tough season, but the General McLane girls’ soccer team is coming back this year stronger than ever. Hoping to improve their record, the Lady Lancers have practiced hard to prepare for the 2017 season.

On Monday, the Lady Lancers faced the Northeast Pickers on their senior night. The first half ended with a score of 1-1. In the second half, the lady lancers bounced back with a score of 4-1 and ended up taking home the win. Seniors Hannah McDermott and Lexi Burrell each got their own goal. Additionally, Sidney Patterson and Christine Patterson each got a as goal as well. This was quite the successful game on senior night!

This year, the team consists of 5 impressive seniors: Hannah McDermott, Sarah Shabloski, Molly Dobrzynski, Emma Hunter, and Lexi Burrell. They all shared how they felt about their final year of soccer.

On the field, Hannah McDermott, Captain, is a forward on the wing. McDermott said “I’m going to miss the teammates around me. Being on this team is like having 30 sisters”.

For some seniors, they don’t want to stop playing at high school. Molly Dobrzynski says she would like to go to college for soccer; however, she is still unsure of where she wants to play. Additionally, Sarah Shabloski says she would play in college as well, if she got an offer.

Our next Lady Lancer is senior and captain, Emma Hunter. Hunter says she will miss her teammates the most. “Our team is like one big family,” said Hunter.

Last but not least is forward and captain, Lexi Burrell. “What I’m going to miss the most is all the people on the team” said Burrell.

All of these seniors of the team have one thing in common: they are going to miss their teammates and the team chemistry. Not only are they a team, but they are a family as well. These girls have been through thick and thin together, and have gotten so much closer throughout their high school soccer career. This chemistry carries onto the field, which helps these ladies to play as one strong unit.

“They are all super nice, and I’m really going to miss them so much next year!” says freshman and fellow soccer teammate, Haley Bloomquist.

To find out the 2017 schedule, go to the General Mclane website. Bloomquist says, “Come out and support our General Mclane girls’ soccer team! The support really does make a difference.”