• February 13Form a Relay for Life Team! Relay is 6/2.

A Murder In Riverdale

Dylan Snell, Reporter

“Our story is about a town. A small town. And the people who live in the town,” Jughead Jones, the narrator of “Riverdale,” used such description to introduce the audience to the show at the beginning of the pilot episode. The television show, “Riverdale,” premiered its second season on October 11.

The show itself is based on the classic Archie Comics, which were originally published as comic strips in the 1940s. In the show, viewers can recognize some of the same characters that appear in the comics, such as Archie Andrews, Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, Jughead Jones, and Josie and the Pussycats. The original comics are known for focusing on the highschoolers sitting in a booth at Pop’s Chock’lit Shoppe, eating burgers, and drinking milkshakes. Most of the comic’s plots revolve around the gang’s typical high school lives filled with homework, changing relationships, jobs, and family. However, this new TV show today has mysterious twist. The show opens with the murder of Jason Blossom, an event that was never in the comics.

This series has gotten so much media attention already that students from GM are starting to take notice. Freshman Sophia Lehman had a lot to say about “Riverdale.” “I binge watch Riverdale all the time. I’ve also read the Archie comics.”

However, like all TV shows, some people watch and eventually get disinterested. “I stopped watching “Riverdale” because Jughead was the only highlight for me. The characters’ personalities are shallow, except for Jughead’s. Sometimes the drama was too much to follow too. And I can’t watch scary stuff without being sad or having nightmares,” said another freshman. It can be very difficult to talk about TV shows in a social scene because people may love a show, while others may despise it because they may think the show is boring or doesn’t have a strong plot.

With such strong, interesting characters, audiences are quick to pick their favorite of the Riverdale crew. “My favorite character is Veronica. I really like her spunk, and I like how she loves to take notice,” said Lehman. “I really like Jughead because he’s hot,” senior Hannah Shrader proclaimed. “I really like his background story as well.”

Season one is now out on DVD and Netflix. To watch the ominous plot unfold, tune in to the CW on Wednesdays at 8/7c as season 2 continues to air.