• September 17Homecoming this weekend!

Happy Death Day Review

Adrianna Snell, Reporter

“Get up. Live your day. Get Killed. Again.” Looking for something new to get you in the Halloween spirit? The newly released horror film, “Happy Death Day,” opened in theaters on the epic day of horror, Friday, October 13. The 9:50 p.m. showing was actually sold out but that didn’t stop me! I pursued the 10:20 p.m. last show of the night & waited impatiently in the front seats in the middle.

Here’s the overview of the movie from the director, Christopher B. Landon, “Tree Gelbman is a blissfully self-centered collegian who wakes up on her birthday in the bed of a student named Carter. As the morning goes on, Tree gets the eerie feeling that she’s experienced the events of this day before. When a masked killer suddenly takes her life in a brutal attack, she once again magically wakes up in Carter’s dorm room unharmed. Now, the frightened young woman must relive the same day over and over until she figures out who murdered her.”

Tree is a typical girl you might see in “Mean Girls” who is part of a sorority and a partier. She starts to see how she truly is when she lives her birthday over and over. With each death Tree improves her chances of getting to the bottom of the mystery. This film has the cliché jump scares that get me every time and they weren’t repetitive which was awesome. Personally when I watch movies I put myself in the shoes of the main character and I think that’s what makes things so scary. I wouldn’t particularly be thrilled to keep dying until I found out who my killer was. The horror concept was definitely there and I was thrilled for the reveal of the killer. It was worth the wait!

Everyone wishes their birthday would last forever, but what if it did? My friend, Jacob Maries, a Gannon University student, gives his intel on the film. “Happy Death Day was not a the horror movie I was expecting to see. Disclaimer: I am not a horror movie watcher. So I was expecting things that one would see in trailers. Gratuitous violence without a plot. But there was another layer to this movie. The main character learned to improve her life as well as improving others. She came to terms with past demons and found someone who cared for her as a person not just an object or label. I thought the character development and story were well done while avoiding most common horror movie tropes. It was a surprisingly good movie and I’m glad to have seen it despite having apprehensions about it. The killer reveal for me wasn’t that breathtaking, I foresaw it. There was a romantic comedy element to the entire movie from the babyface killer mask to the general atmosphere. And if this occurred on my birthday I would have solved it much faster than the main character because all the signs were there she was just too blind and caught up in her life drama to see them.”

Happy Death Day received a 6.7/10 from IMDB, a 67% from Rotten Tomatoes & a ⅗ from Common Sense Media. My opinion? Definitely worth the watch! My rating out of four stars would have to be a three & a half! It could have improved but was intensely entertaining throughout.
Want to see Happy Death Day?! Showtimes on the Cinemark website! And I highly suggest watching the trailer just as a tease!