Soboleski Signs with Pitt

Akayla Lewin, Editorial Board

Senior Maddie Soboleski signed her letter of intent to play Division I Volleyball at the University of Pittsburgh at a signing held in the library this past Wednesday. Her family, friends, coach, and teammates along with several local news outlets were present at the event.  

Soboleski chose Pitt to continue her volleyball career for a variety of reasons.  “I loved everything about it, the teammates, the coaches, and I fell in love with the campus. It felt like the right place for me.” Soboleski says she owes all of her success to her family and that her parents always pushed her to be the best she can be.

Soboleski is the first of GM’s senior athletes to commit to playing at the collegiate level. She has played on GM’s high school team all four years as well as the middle school team and several other USA volleyball club travel and beach teams.  She offers this advice to high school students that have hopes of playing a sport in college, “Try your hardest at every practice. Don’t count the days, make the days count.”

Before Soboleski can embark upon her career in the big leagues, she and the rest of the GM volleyball team have to finish what they started in the state competition. “I’m so excited for the whole team that we’ve got this far and won the first round of states, and I can’t wait to see how far we end up going.”

The team takes on Knoch in the quarterfinals this Saturday at 3 p.m. at Slippery Rock High School. The Red Sea will be there to cheer them on and are planning a “red out” for the game.  “We can definitely beat them, we just have to play our hardest every point and not get down on ourselves,” Soboleski stated.  

Whether Soboleski and the GM team meet success in the state competition or not, the senior Pitt commit certainly had a good run here at GM. She has high hopes for the future of the volleyball team here, commenting, “I hope my team next year is just as successful as this year.”

Akayla Lewin, Editorial Board

Hi there! I'm Akayla lewin and I'm currently in my junior year of high school and in my second year on the editorial board?. I'm a fan of turtles?, everything...

Hannah Wyman, Editor In Chief

I'm Hannah and I'm a senior. I enjoy traveling, the Gilmore Girls, puns, Leslie Knope, the Beatles, good coffee, Michelle Kwan, feminist rants, and that...