Student Predictions For 2018

Patrick Angelo, Reporter

The new year has just started, and there are a lot of mixed feelings about 2018. Some people are looking forward to 2018 for a fresh, positive start. We were curious to hear some of the students here at GM’s predictions for 2018.

The year 2017 was a one of political upheaval. Trump took to office, women took to the streets for the “Women’s March,” and people took to the internet to fight unsuccessfully for net neutrality. When asked to make a political prediction, sophomore Tristan Johnson was bleak stating, “Trump will blow us up. I feel we are going to go to war with North Korea.” Another grim comment came from senior McKenah Bryson who bluntly stated, “The world is going to burn.” Bryson did not elaborate as to a cause.

The New England Patriots, the Golden State Warriors, the Pittsburgh Penguins, and the Houston Astros were tops in sports in 2017. So who will win this year’s first big championship of 2018? “The Pittsburgh Steelers will win the Super Bowl,” said sophomore Hunter Dickson. Freshman Jaren Iavarone-Campbell agreed, stating, “Either the Steelers or Vikings will win the Super Bowl because the NFL is rigged. The Steelers will play the Vikings and win because Ben Roethlisberger is probably retiring. If the Vikings win it will be because the Super Bowl is in their stadium.”

Many students were indifferent to the change in the year such as sophomore Josiah Burkett, who told us, “It is going to be the same as 2017 was, just with different trends.” Some looked forward to graduation and life on their own, such as senior Issy Getty who stated, “I will probably get in a lot more trouble because I won’t have parental supervision.”

Other students predictions have already come to true. “It will be very cold this year,” said sophomore Ellen Eisert. So far this one has been spot on. Although no one really knows if 2018 will be a good year, we all hope that it will..