Wrestlers Intend to Take Down Competition

Coach Cook and Andrew Brest, Tool City Champion.

Patrick Angelo, Reporter

The General McLane wrestling team is planning to make it to states this year. To do that they will have to beat out all the competition in the area. Their first competition is an individual tournament in Philipsburg, PA on December 9th. There are many wrestlers who are expected to do well this year and the team wants to great as a whole. “My goal for the team, as alway is to compete for a district 10 title as a team, dual meet and tournament.” Said head coach Ryan Cook.

The wrestling team has a lot planned for this season, and even though they have a young team they want to be successful. “We have a lot of young guys on the team, we’ll be starting as many as six to seven freshman, but we have good senior leadership with 5 or 6 seniors.”

There are many very good wrestlers on the team this year but there are some specific ones that seemed to really stick out. “Both Brett Mallory and Brad Motter, seniors, are both very talented. Brett was a district 10 champion and I look for him to be in the state tournament. Junior Andrew Brest, I think he’s one of the best guys in the state. When he is confident in himself and his abilities, there is no stopping what he can do. I do believe he could be competing for a state title this weekend. We have a very exciting freshman class, but one that sticks out the most is Matt Leehan. He is a multiple time Junior High state qualifier, and he also has the talent and ability to go very far this year.”

The wrestling team works very hard after school every day to try to achieve both their individual goals, and their team goals. Come support the wrestling team as they attempt to reach their goals throughout the season.