New Year, New Resolutions

Lexi Langer, Reporter

“Many cultures celebrate the event in some manner on the first day of January, as often marked as a national holiday. In the Gregorian calendar, the most widely used calendar system used today, the New Year occurs the first of January. This is also the case in both the old Roman calendar and the Julian calendar that succeeded it,” says the popular Amazon Echo, also known as Alexa.

On average, about 41 percent of Americans make New Year’s resolutions each year, but only 9 percent of them are actually able to stick to them. The main reason for this situation is that the resolutions are unrealistic and potentially impossible.

A majority of the resolutions involve losing weight or going to the gym. Someone may set a goal to lose 10 pounds in a week, but the safe amount of weight to lose in one week is about two pounds. Not only is this resolution very difficult to achieve, it is also unhealthy and could result in adding even more weight on later. Most people do not do any research beforehand to know this information and set a realistic goal.

Another popular resolution for the New Year is to eat healthier, but most people are unaware of moderation. Someone who picks this resolution might instinctively choose to completely eliminate his or her favorite food, such as a cheeseburger or pizza. This person will only eat fruit or salad everyday and not dare touch any junk food. Sooner or later, he or she will cave and eat an unreasonable amount of junk food, giving up on the goal.

If this person would have eaten only one serving of the junk food, the resolution would still stand. The idea is to eat more healthy foods and use moderation with the junk food, or choose quality over quantity.

“My New Year’s resolution was to be nicer to people, but I already gave up,” said sophomore Robert Rose. We all act as if the second Jan. 1 begins, we are completely new people. That’s not how it works.

The point of New Year’s resolutions is to change our bad habits, not ourselves. We get caught up with big New Year’s parties and the tradition of making resolutions, and we don’t think about practical matters. Trying to totally change personalities in 24 hours is just unrealistic and unnecessary.

You might think that your window to make a New Year’s resolution has closed because Jan. 1 is over. But, New Year’s Day isn’t your only chance to make a plan for self-improvement. You can decide to start new at any time. So, set yourself a reasonable goal and get started on your self-improvement.