Band Takes on 15th Disney Trip

Lexi Langer, Reporter

On November 24, the GM Marching Band left Pennsylvania’s winter weather to perform at Disney World’s Festival of Fantasy Parade.

Those who traveled with the band stayed four days in the parks, marching in the parade on that Sunday. They spent their free time in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Disney Springs.

On Saturday, November 25, the band arrived at Hollywood Studios. Most students chose to ride the park’s two most thrilling rides: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. Later that day, the students checked in to the hotel and dropped off their luggage.

The next day, everyone prepared for the parade. After spending about half the day at Magic Kingdom, the band was taken “backstage” to get ready. Changing into uniforms was definitely a struggle because it was a hot day, but most people could tolerate the heat.

When the band finally began to march, the General McLane High School Marching Band was announced for all to hear. This was an exhilarating moment for everyone. Hundreds of people stood by, watching and filming the performance. The parade was a success.

After changing into casual clothes once again, the band returned to Magic Kingdom where rides like Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are located. Soon everyone returned to the hotel and got the opportunity to swim and eat pizza in the evening.

Monday morning was spent at Disney Springs. The band ate breakfast at Planet Hollywood and was set free to shop until the GM Jazz Band played. After the performance, the rest of the day was spent at Epcot. Epcot is known for the many countries it presents, such as France and Norway, and the large Epcot ball visible all around the park.

Animal Kingdom was the last park visited by the band. One of the most popular rides for students was Expedition Everest, a thrilling roller coaster based on Mount Everest. On this ride, a Yeti is shown ripping apart the tracks of the coaster, creating more of a scare for riders.

At the end of the day, the band ate dinner at The Hub and finally left to go home. The bus ride back was uneventful, and the freezing weather in Edinboro wasn’t pleasant to feel after four warm days in Orlando.

On November 30, the colorful palm trees of Florida suddenly turned to leafless oaks, and the GM band students snapped back to reality.