The student news site of General McLane High School.

“Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi:” WOW!

January 16, 2018

On December 14, Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, was released in theaters across America. It grossed a total of $1.09 billion, which places it in the top 20 most grossing movies of all time. The Last Jedi was a continuation of the eight episode saga.

The movie begins exactly where the last movie left off; Rey (Daisy Ridley) hands an elderly Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) his old lightsaber. That’s where the credits rolled in episode seven, but in Episode VIII, they showed Luke comically looking at the saber, and whipping it behind him. This is also when I physically started shaking. Goosebumps all over and excitement was pretty much how I, and those I saw it with felt.

In this latest installment to the series, the Resistance fighters are outnumbered by the First Order ships, which are larger as well. Poe (Oscar Isaac), is one of the only surviving fighters, and they lost all of their bombers. While the Resistance is zooming through space on low fuel and fleeing the First Order, Rey is convincing Luke Skywalker to teach her the ways of the Jedi. Skywalker has given up the ways of the Jedi and is living on a secluded island with some local dwellers. The movies arguably creepiest scene is when Luke walks up to a large creature and squeezes out some green milk and drinks it straight from the creature.

This next big scene was one of many where the whole theater went silent and everyone watched in awe. Despite what Twitter might be telling you, I believe that this was an movie that brought together the Star Wars fan base, causing healthy debates and conjuring up ideas and predictions for the rest of the series, rather than tearing it apart. Skywalker goes to this big tree where the Books of the Jedi are stored (this is after Rey leaves to help the Resistance, with little training, but a grasp on the Force) and tries to burn it down, but is stopped by the spirit of Master Yoda, who sets it on fire himself and says that Rey already knows what she needs and the books won’t do much to help her.

Rey learns that she and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) are connected by the force and together they take down the Supreme Leader. Ren then betrays her and takes over as Supreme Leader, trying to off the remaining Resistance and Skywalker who shows up to save the day. After pointing and firing all guns at him, Ren face to face confronts Skywalker, who doesn’t have a scratch on him. He says the iconic line, “I will not be the last Jedi,” which is hinting at Rey (again, I was shook).

The ending of the movie will be a mystery until you watch it for yourself, because I wouldn’t want to spoil something that amazing for anyone, not even my worst enemies (if you’re not as SHOOKETH as I was, you’re lying).

After seeing the movie and hearing about the amazing reviews, I think this is a movie everyone who is a fan of science fiction should watch. I, personally, loved this movie. Hands down, my favorite of the saga (other than Episode IV: A New Hope, which is everyone’s favorite, duh). The casting was amazing and did the series justice.

To see Carrie Fisher still in the movie, was moving and has/will touch the hearts of all the fans (though, I have to say, it’s a little creepy when Hollywood CGI’s characters after their death). To understand the movie, you will have to watch the rest of the series, but it is definitely worth it. It leaves room to make your own predictions at the end, and throughout the movie, with small “easter eggs,” if you will, to keep you hooked and guessing.

This is a must watch movie. Five out of five. Definitely in my top 10. Go see it. Don’t wait for it to be on Netflix.

Lancer Ledger • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in