Oprah For President?

Oprah+at+the+Golden+Globes+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Oprah For President?

Oprah at the Golden Globes

Oprah at the Golden Globes

Google images

Oprah at the Golden Globes

Google images

Google images

Oprah at the Golden Globes

Hannah Shrader, Reporter

Oprah Winfrey’s acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille award at last the Golden Globe Award show was so well received and moving that many are hoping she runs against Donald Trump for president in 2020. It was a highly praised speech and many commented on it, including the president’s daughter, Ivanka Trump who tweeted “Just saw @Oprah’s empowering and inspiring speech at last night’s #GoldenGlobes. Let’s all come together, women & men, and say #TIMESUP!”

While she has not yet said anything since the speech, and has openly said she would not run for public office, Winfrey has hinted that running for president intrigues her. The media and talk show hosts have spun this into a debate with many people stating this would be a good change for the country, especially after Donald Trump.“The Late Night Show with Stephen Colbert” even tweeted out a mock campaign poster saying “HOPE-RAH,” a clever and witty idea for her possible 2020 campaign. When asked about facing Oprah in an election, Donald Trump stated,“Yeah, I’ll beat Oprah. Oprah would be a lot of fun.”

You most likely have heard of Oprah Winfrey, but who is this woman and what is she famous for? Oprah Winfrey, simply put, is a television personality, American actress, media tycoon, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. She was born into poverty in Kosciusko, Mississippi on January 29, 1954. Repeatedly sexually assaulted as a child and once told was “too emotional and not right for television,” she overcame adversity and failure to become a self made billionaire.
Winfrey began her career as a radio and TV journalist and became widely known for her nationally-syndicated talk show, “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” which ran from 1986 until 2011 and was the highest rated TV program of its kind in history.

Over the years, the show evolved from being a tabloid-style talkshow to one that broke ground and addressed broader topics such as heart disease, geopolitics, spirituality, and various social issues. Her success led her to co-found the Oxygen channel and eventually to own her own TV network, her own magazine, and even to founding a school in South Africa for underprivileged girls. She has also starred in critically acclaimed movies such as “The Color Purple,” and the much anticipated, “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Although no one can argue Winfrey’s popularity and success, does her career qualify her to be the POTUS? If history is any indicator, the American people aren’t very concerned with qualifications when it comes to voting but whether Oprah decides to run or not remains to be seen.

Hannah Shrader, Editor/ Reporter

Hey!! I'm Hannah Shrader, or Shredder, it's whatever. I am a senior and this is my 3rd year on the editorial board. I love skiing, dancing, color guard/winter...