Anxiety Inservice Feb. 5

Jasdeep Kaur, Reporter

1 in 5 young adults aged 13 to 18 suffer from a severe form of mental illness at some point in their lives. This means that at least 20 percent of students at GM suffer from some form of mental illness. So, Superintendent Scaletta has planned a two-hour delay on Feb. 5. This delay will serve as an in-service for the teachers to be trained for the increase in mental illnesses in the current generation of students here at GM.

As a student who has anxiety issues, I feel very relieved that people actually care about such an important issue. In fact, due to the amount of pressure put on high school students, mental health illnesses can intensify. It can be difficult enough for students to deal with work on a normal basis, but having a mental health issue can add to the struggle. Because of this, it is important that our school isn’t ignoring these important and life threatening issues but paying close attention and taking initiative. School is indeed a place where students come to study and learn, but it is important that their mental health be taken into account by their teachers.

In order to succeed in school, students deserve as little pressure and as much support as possible. If students don’t get enough time to finish their assignments and projects that tends to put the student under pressure. According to Robert Leahy, director of the American Institute of Cognitive therapy, the anxiety levels of students in 2018 are the same as mental hospital patients. This shows just how scary anxiety can really be. In my opinion, and from personal experience, having a mental health issue like anxiety prevents you from accomplishing tasks. It is important for teachers to acknowledge this when giving assignments to their students.

Mental health is an important issue that should be factored into our learning environments. Without proper treatment and attention, mental health issues can worsen, leading to more serious problems. Because of this, it is incredibly significant that our school is taking initiative and training our teachers to help students with mental health issues.