High School Evacuated as Smoke Fills Building

On Wednesday, January 17 the high school students were dismissed at 12:00 p.m. due to a situation that occurred in the wood shop.  Because of this situation, the semester will be extended one day and will now end on Friday, Jan. 19.  The school is working with the department of education to determine how to handle the Keystone tests that were in progress at the time of the incident.

The following is a message from Superintendent Richard Scaletta regarding the incident.

Shortly after 10:00 a.m., the dust collector unit which sits right outside the high school wood shop began smoking.,  Smoke quickly filled the north end of the building and eventually the full school. The fire alarm was pulled.  There were never any visible flames outside the unit.  Students were evacuated and then taken to the middle school gym.

The fire company was called and opened the unit to extinguish the fire.

It was determined that it would take too long to ventilate the building unless all doors and windows were opened which then left open the possibility of freezing systems.  So, instead of stinking them out or freezing them out, we sent all high school students home at noon.

The building now is better but still too much odor to stay in it for any length of time so it has been closed until tonight for the scheduled wrestling match when we feel we can have the gym ventilated.

Our bus drivers were able to respond quickly to the call to come in during the middle of the day and we are grateful for that.