• September 17First Activity Period of the year, this Wednesday!

Black Panther; Long Live the King

iMBD

Halle Minner, Reporter

February 16, the much anticipated film Black Panther, hit movie theaters around the US. As the latest edition to the massive Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), expectations for this movie were already high. Director Ryan Coogler certainly had his work cut out for him, but he managed to deliver a movie rich with culture and depth. Senior Jack Parker says that it’s “a tasteful twist on superhero movies because of its diversity.”

Black Panther begins with Prince T’Challa of Wakanda (Chadwick Boseman) returning to his country in order to claim his title as King. When a powerful rival appears to challenge his throne (Michael B. Jordan), his courage as both a ruler and the Black Panther was put to the ultimate test. T’Challa must choose between following in his late father’s footsteps, or forging his own path as the leader of his people.

Although this movie is a part of the MCU, fan’s only previous experience with Black Panther was in Civil War (2016). This made Black Panther more of a stand alone movie itself, though various other characters from different movies made appearances. Overall, the focus of the film was on the growth and development of the characters as the story progressed. It’s a collection of culture, mythology, tradition, heritage. The issues that plague the characters in the movie are believable, with themes of inequality of race and wealth. Strangely enough, siding with the villain’s point of view is completely believable; he fights to free his people from oppression and prejudice, by using the wealth that Wakanda keeps from the rest of the world.

Senior Kevon Alicea says “I liked everything about the movie. Especially the technology and special effects.” I also loved every part of this movie; the characters, the plot, the design, and the message it sends out to people. By judging our history as a people, what is the best way to move forward? Black Panther tells us to do what is right, and to strive for it, because all of us have the ability to do so. “Black Panther is the best black superhero since MLK,” says Junior Seth Myers. Senior Jack Parker says that it’s “a tasteful twist on superhero movies because of its diversity.” Indeed, Black Panther was one of the most diverse, culturally aware, wonderful movies of the year, and I definitely want to go see it again.