• February 13Form a Relay for Life Team! Relay is 6/2.

What time is it? Showtime!

Karen Hodas

Karen Hodas

Kayla Rautine, Reporter

Singing, dancing, rhythm, makeup, music, and lights. It’s time for our 37th annual Broadway Dinner.

The opener of this year’s show will be a spoof of “My Shot,” from the Broadway hit “Hamilton.” The lyrics of the song were adapted to describe a student’s shot at becoming a Broadway Dinner superstar. “Hamilton” will have a big presence in this year’s show with the showbill even featuring a “Hamilton” motiff.

It takes a lot of people to make Broadway Dinner a success each year. Carol Blountl, AKA “Mama Blount,” has been helping with the show for the past 15 years. She is the Assistant Production Supervisor and handles a lot of the administrative duties and logistics for the show. She sells tickets, organizes the seating arrangements, and assists with selling advertisements and the 10 for $10 raffle tickets. Most importantly, she cares about everyone and every piece in the show and lends a hand anyway that she can to make everything go smoothly. This year, she will even be making her debut on stage during the opening song. “[My favorite part of Broadway Dinner is] watching kids you wouldn’t expect to perform go on stage and do wonderful things,” Blount stated.

Aside from Blount, there is a huge crew that work together to make the show happen. From the costumes, to the lights, to the choreography, many people work countless hours to make the students shine when they hit the stage. And shine they do.
Broadway Dinner is the highlight of the school year for many students, but the Sunday performance can be bittersweet for the senior participants. This year, the seniors will be performing the song “Heart and Music” from the show “A New Brain” as their senior song.

Senior Allie Shade has participated in Broadway Dinner for four years. Her favorite part of the show is “getting to know everyone.” Shade is in eight pieces this year and is very excited for her solo, “It Won’t Be Long Now” from “In the Heights.” Despite this, Shade admits that it will be very emotional. “Good things must come to an end but this one is going to be hard to let go of. Throughout high school the music program has always been a constant for me and taking that stage one last time is going to be a change. I will forever be grateful for the opportunities that the Yates’ have provided me and the friendships and memories that came from this program!” she stated.

For the underclassmen, Broadway Dinner means new opportunities and a chance to build transferrable social skills and self confidence. “It is a great opportunity to be on state doing what you love,” stated sophomore Katelyn Crum.

What songs are they most looking forward to? “Yorktown!” stated a group of enthusiastic sophomores. “It’s ‘Hamilton.’ It’s hype,” stated sophomore Ben Howe-Jones. Other anticipated songs are the dance number, “Turkey Lurkey” from the 1969 show “Promises, Promises” and “In the Summer” from Disney’s “Frozen” featuring Brett Ferrell and sophomores Logan Mitchell and Ali Lamoreaux.

Broadway Dinner will be held April 6 – 8, at McLane Church. Show times are 6:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. Reserved seating are currently only available for the Sunday performance and tickets are $40 for Director Circle seating and $35 for regular seating. Bleacher seats, which do not include a meal, are $12 and will be on sale at the door first come, first serve, each night.
There are 38 pieces in this years dinner. And we can’t wait to see the all.