• February 13Form a Relay for Life Team! Relay is 6/2.

Why the Browns Won’t Clown in 2018

Baker Mayfield, the New Browns QB, in His new Cleveland Browns uniform

Eli Buto, Reporter

Is it possible for the Browns to be LIII Super Bowl Champs? It you ask a Browns fan, then maybe.

The biggest one season turnaround in NFL history was the Miami Dolphins who improved from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008. The Browns were the second NFL team in history to go 0-16, the first being the Detroit Lions in 2008. The Lions rebounded with only two wins in 2009, something the Browns are trying to avoid.

The Browns owned the first and fourth overall pick in the draft this year, the first team to own two of the first four picks since the Washington Redskins in 2000. The Redskins chose two future pro bowlers and went 8-8 the next season. Most, if not all, Cleveland Browns fans would love to get 8 wins, and maybe a fight for the Division or Wild Card.

The Browns chose former Heisman Trophy Winner, Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick and Ohio State Cornerback, Denzel Ward with the fourth overall pick in last Thursday’s NFL draft.

The Browns organization was very pleased with the Mayfield pick, even though he draws comparison to Johnny Manziel. The Ward pick was one of the most surprising picks of the first round due to the fact that everyone thought they would pick defensive-end Bradley Chubb. They also could have traded back to a later pick and still chose Ward. Overall, it wasn’t a good first round, but maybe in a few years we’ll look back and say those are the greatest picks ever. To be fair, most people said the Patriots choosing Tom Brady was a stupid choice.
The Browns have had seven starting quarterbacks in the past three years, an all-time NFL record. They also have had an NFL high 28 different starting quarterbacks since 1999. One of those quarterbacks was Manziel, a former Heisman trophy winner and standout quarterback for Texas A&M in college. The Browns used their 22nd overall pick in the 2014 draft, what some people would call a huge mistake. However, many people would argue that the Browns got just what they were looking for in the Heisman Quarterback. The old Browns management just cared about money, not winning. In the summer of 2015, Manziel’s jersey lead in NFL jersey sales beating out future Hall-of-Famer Peyton Manning. Now, the Browns new management cares about winning and the fans hope they’re as successful with winning, as they were with money.

On top of the draft, the Cleveland Browns made many other offseason moves, including trading for Wide Receiver Jarvis Landry. The Miami Dolphins didn’t want to pay Landry, however the Browns didn’t mind signing the three time pro-bowler and reigning NFL reception leader to a five-year, $75.5 million dollar contract.

The Cleveland Browns also traded for quarterback Tyrod Taylor from the Buffalo Bills. They are hoping that Taylor will serve as a great bridge-quarterback to Mayfield, mentoring him as he comes into the league. The Browns organization and fans are praying that this move works out and helps turn around the Browns franchise.

Die hard Browns fans are remaining cautiously optimistic, but many don’t believe they will be able to turn it around this season.

Senior Jack Parker feels they might win two games, senior Nasir Singelton and Elliott Gruzca feels they will get three wins at most, and junior Brett Horn, predicted “not much better. I’ll give them 4 wins with 14 losses.”

What do you think? Respond to our online poll at gmhslancerledger.com.