• February 13Form a Relay for Life Team! Relay is 6/2.

You’re Killin’ Me Smalls

The Sandlot Team talked about in the story

Eli Buto

Squints. S’mores. Sports. “The Sandlot” had it all and still does. Since 1993, baseball fans and kids in general have enjoyed this incredible movie about baseball, friendships, and flat-out fun and they still do 25 years later.

“The Sandlot” was a classic and unforgettable movie for many of our own GMHS students growing up. When asked who his favorite character from “The Sandlot,” junior Tucker Dunn stated, “Benny “the Jet” Rodriguez, because he had wheels.” He also said his favorite part in the movie was “when they hit the ball over the fence and Smalls started freaking out because it was ‘signed by some girl named Ruth, Baby Ruth.’”

Junior Emily Blount stated, “my favorite player was Benny ‘the Jet’ Rodriguez, because he’s the cutest. My favorite part was when they hit the homerun and Smalls was freaking out.”

According to IMBD.com, “‘The Sandlot’ is the 12th most quotable movie of all time.” Some of the quotes include, “You’re killing me smalls,” said by Hamilton “Ham” Porter when Smalls didn’t know who Babe Ruth was. Another classic quote is “Remember kid, there’s heroes and there’s legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die; follow your heart kid, and you’ll never go wrong.” This was said by Babe Ruth to Benny Rodriguez in a dream, while Benny was wondering if he should face “the beast.” Lastly, a famous quote from one of the characters, Squints, while speaking about the Beasts’ history “he shall be locked up… For-ev-ER… For-ev-ER… For-ev-ER.”

Even for some of our teachers it’s an unforgettable classic. Mr. Korb agreed with Emily and Tucker when he said “my favorite part was when the ball went over the fence to the beast.”

When asked his favorite player, Elliot Gruzca responded “Rodriguez because he was the best player.” He also said “my favorite part is when they go to the amusement park and go on the tilt-a-whirl and all throw up.”

Without hesitation, Senior Luke McEldowney said, “My favorite player was Squints because he kissed the lifeguard.” When asked his favorite part he had to think a little, and finally said, “The part where the dog scares them when they’re looking for the ball.”

There have been a few tries at replicating “The Sandlot” through many different sequels. However, all have failed. “Sandlot 2” was created in 2005, and got a whopping 4.5 stars out of 10, according to IMBD.com. Another sequel, “Sandlot: Heading Home,” was released in 2007 and just beat out “Sandlot 2” with 5.2 stars out of 10, also according to IMBD.com.

Legends never die, so whether you know every word in the film or have never watched it, it’s time to celebrate 25 years of “The Sandlot” by watching it today!

Sandlot Trivia
Q: Who was Squints’ crush and future wife.
Q: Who did Benny “the jet” Rodriguez play for when he grew up?
Q: What was the dog’s name?
Q: When going to the sandlot for the first time, what did Squints call Smalls?