The Lancers Look to Keep Things Rolling

Ellen Eisert

Seth Myers, Reporter

The General McLane Lancers football team has started the season great with a 3-1 record, but fell to Conneaut in a heartbraking 35-36 loss this past Saturday. Their region record is still a promising 3-0.

Despite the loss to Conneaut, the team remains positive.  “I felt really good about our start, I think we will only keep getting better. The loss put us in our place.  We may have been getting too cocky,” stated junior Billy Jukes. Senior Captain, Nick Renick would have to agree as he said, “We’re just looking to keep improving and playing together like the brothers we are.”

In addition to Jukes and Renick, some team stat leaders from the first few games are senior quarterback Luke Dillen and junior running back Ben Howe-Jones. Howe-Jones is leading the team in rushing and touchdowns with 597 yards and 5 touchdowns. Dillen is leading the team in total points scored with 52. Renick and Jukes are leading the team in tackles, with 30 and 26 respectively.

In additon, seniors Dillen and Brett Horn both agree in saying that sophomore, Matt Leehan, is having “an impressive, breakout season.”

Upcoming, this Friday September, 28, the Lancers take on the Fort Leboeuf Bison on our home turf, Linden Field. The Bison vs. Lancers matchup has become a major rivalry game in several different sports. Since it is homecoming the occasion will be even more special. The atmosphere will be one that all GM students, fans or players, should experience.

The Bison also have an impressive record of 4-1, but the Lancer players don’t seem intimidated. Horn, Renick, and Dillen all felt that the game would be a blowout victory in favor of the Lancers. Senior Captain, Linemen, Ryan Kulka was even confident enough to say that he believed he would score a touchdown.

Beyond the Homecoming game the team has high hopes for the rest of the season. Howe-Jones said, “Our goals are definitely to win the region and make it to the District 10 Championship game, and hopefully win that too.” Similar to Howe-Jones, Dillen’s expectations for the team are to, “Go undefeated the rest of the way and win the District Championship.”

The Lancers have had a promising start to the season and are striving to fulfill their goals and expectations the rest of the way.