Heisman Watch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Heisman Watch

Heisman hopeful Will Greier.

Heisman hopeful Will Greier.

Heisman hopeful Will Greier.

Heisman hopeful Will Greier.

Billy Jukes, Reporter

The 2018 college football season is off to a hot start, and so are the Heisman hopefuls. There are many players that have the talent and capability to win it, here are the top three.

To begin with is Kyler Murray the quarterback for the Oklahoma Sooners. Murray was the 9th overall pick in this year’s MLB draft. He plans on finishing up at OU then play professional baseball, but right now he is lighting up college football. He’s a very dynamic player who can make plays with his arm as well as his feet. Murray carried the load against Iowa State with running back Rodney Anderson out. He passed for 348 yards and 3 touchdowns. On the ground he had 15 carries for 77 yards.

Next up is the sophomore quarterback for the Alabama Crimson Tide Tua Tagovaioa. He took over the starting job last year during the national championship games earlier this year. He has shown so far this year why he deserved the starting job. Two weeks ago he led the Tide to a 62-7 route of Ole Miss. He had 191 yards and 2 touchdowns with 47 yards rushing. On the year he has 646 total passing yards and 8 touchdown passes.

Finally, it is Senior quarterback for West Virginia Will Grier. He was leading the race prior to this past week because he didn’t play due to Hurricane Florence. In his first two games he was lighting defenses up. He is a NFL ready quarterback and should go in the first round. So far this year he has 761 passing yards and 9 touchdowns.

The Heisman Trophy is awarded to the nations best college football player. The trophy can be awarded to any player, but typically the select a quarterback or a running back. Last year’s Heisman winner was Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield.

Billy Jukes, Reporter

Hi I’m Bill. I play football and basketball. I love skateboarding, it’s my passion. I’m already a professional. I make big bank.