Boys Soccer 2018

Ashley Burhenn, Reporter

The 2018 boys soccer season is underway. So far they have an impressive record of 5-1 beating Corry, Warren, Oil City, Slippery Rock, North Olmsted, and Erie, with their only loss coming to Prep.  

The team has many top returning players include: Seniors Brennon Songer (captain), Drew Burhenn, Logan McFadden (captain), Tyler Massey (captain), and goalie Dylan Mroz. Underclassmen standouts include junior Tanner Daniels and sophomore RJ Benedict.

The team’s region has changed from the previous years. Cathedral Prep, Erie, McDowell, and Fort LeBoeuf will all be in-region competition this year.

Songer feels that Prep will be the team’s biggest competition this year. McFadden agrees adding that in additional to Prep, Erie, and McDowell will be the biggest rivals for the team.

Every season the boys team have goals. For the past two years they have been runner ups of District 10, losing to Prep both times in the final. Because of this they have become known as “the public school champs.”  This year the team’s goals include, “Win district 10, make it to second round in state playoffs, no red cards, and beat Prep,” according to Songer and Daniels.

The team feels good about their play so far this season. Junior Derek Kowalczuk felt the team was doing “well.” Mroz elaborated adding, “I think we are playing really well. We have a lot of potential for this season.”