RIP Mac Miller

Ashley Burhenn, Reporter

Rapper Mac Miller, suddenly died on Sept. 7 at his home in Studio City, Calif. His cause of death was an apparent drug overdose.

His funeral will be held in his hometown of Pittsburgh where there will be a Jewish service. There was a memorial in his honor at a local park, Blue Slide Park. Many of his fans covered the park in candles, flowers, signs, and more to show their respects for the young artist.

Miller died at the age of 26. Four days before his death, he released his latest album “Swimming.” This album was his fifth studio album released during his life. His more famous albums include “Blue Slide Park,” “GO:OD AM,” “Watching Movies With the Sound Off,” and “The Divine Feminine.”

Malcolm James McCormick aka Mac Miller was born on Jan. 19, 1992 in Pittsburgh. Miller was raised in a Jewish family with parents Karen and Mark. He was a self taught musician, playing the guitar, piano, drums, and base. Miller became very dedicated to a hip hop career at the age of 15. In 2009, Miller released two mixtapes, and soon after he signed a deal with Rostrum Records. Throughout the years, he released more albums, and each album became more popular than the other. Miller claims that his influences, one including Wiz Khalifa, played a big role in his music career.

During Miller’s later life, he and Ariana Grande were in a long term relationship. They were featured in each others songs including Ariana’s song “The Way.” In 2018, they officially broke up, however they remained friends. Once Miller died, Ariana kept quiet until 7 days later on Sept. 14 when she posted on Instagram. Her caption started off by saying “i adored you from the day i met you when i was nineteen.”

Many students at GM were devastated by his death. Teaghan Watkins, freshman, said that “He was the love of my life. It’s sad, I cry all the time.”      

Mac Miller had a lot of different styles of music that ranged from rap to hip hop to jazz rap. No matter the genre, his fans loved every song. “I like [Miller] a lot because he was very versatile and he wasn’t labeled as one genre of music, stated junior Billy Jukes.  Jukes went on to say his favorite Miller song is “Donald Trump.” Sarah Converse, senior, said that her favorite Mac Miller song is “Knock Knock.”

It is no doubt that Miller’s music will live on in the hearts of many students here at GM. Ben Howe-Jones, junior, stated that, “It was a tragic death.”