Cross Country Team Hopes to Run Through the Competition at D-10 Championships

General+McLanes+2018+Cross+Country+team+
Back to Article
Back to Article

General McLanes 2018 Cross Country team

General McLanes 2018 Cross Country team

Photo Provided By: Ryan Lewis

General McLanes 2018 Cross Country team

Photo Provided By: Ryan Lewis

Photo Provided By: Ryan Lewis

General McLanes 2018 Cross Country team

When the regular season wrapped up on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018 some cross country runners would be finished for the season. But for runners like Erik Andrewkeski it only marked the beginning for their quest to states.

Fourteen runners will be running in the D-10 championship on Oct. 27 in the hopes to qualify for the state competition. For the boy’s team those runners are seniors Eric Andrzejewski, Nick Halmi, Nate Price, and Luke Welker,  juniors Tim Fair and Evan Zehr, and sophomore Dylan Throop.

For Halmi making it to states would be an amazing way to end his career at General McLane.  “If your going to Hershey, you’re going to Hershey. It doesn’t get much better than that,” he stated enthusiastically.

Halmi thinks the boy’s team has a good chance at making it to states this year.  “I think this year’s team is better than last year. Nate and Erik are still doing awesome in the front pack and this year Dylan is up there with them. Tim and I also improved a lot since last year. We did lose Simon Zehr last year, but I think our overall improvement makes us slightly better than last year. Also we have more depth with our runners outside the top five guys.”

Andrzejewski has been a XC standout for years.  He stated that his motivation to do well in races comes from his teammates. “[I just want] to help them and do good.” He also touched on the team’s pre-race huddle, “We do this huddle right before our race, we chant this song that gets us hyped.”

Teamwork is key to the success of any team.  Sophomore runner Ryan Lewis described the aspects of this year’s team that make it special, stating, “I like that everyone has been serious about reaching solid goals they wish to achieve in terms of their fitness and development. Everyone has worked hard to achieve the most beneficial and desired outcomes of the Cross Country team.”

The team is also not lacking in leadership, Lewis referenced the leadership of the team from an underclassmen perspective commenting, “I think the seniors on both sides set an exceptional example for everyone on the team. Nate is the current front runner of the team, he promotes strong effort, and he sets a strong example of what values our athletes should exploit for the most benefit all around. Erik brings charisma that increases the confidence and livelihood of everyone on the team, he provides an environment where it’s acceptable to enjoy the work we all put in on a daily basis without losing emphasis on the effort needed to improve. Nate and Erik currently embody the most desired and sought after traits of everyone on the men’s team.”

The state competition will take place on Nov. 3 in Hershey, Pa.  Seven GM females are also in the hunt to get their team to states. They are seniors Anna Alberti and Debbie Fiscus, juniors Devin Bayle, Olivia Minner, and Kaitlyn Crum, sophomore Elle Conaway, and freshman Madison Pifer.  Good luck to all our runners in their quest for states!