Breast Cancer Awareness: Do it for a cure

Marisa Jennings, Reporter

More than 252,710 women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year. This past month of Oct. is known as Breast Cancer Awareness month. During Oct., many events are held to raise money for research and to increase knowledge about this deadly disease.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Diversity Club members coordinated various activities to raise money to support the American Cancer Society. They gave away pink ribbons and a piece of chocolate in the cafeteria during lunch periods last week to anyone who made a donation towards the cause. In addition to collecting donations in the cafeteria, they also sponsored a jeans day and a “Pink Out” event last Friday at GMHS. In total they raised $240. The funds will be used to pay for and make gift boxes/bags will be given to American Cancer Society in Erie for patients in need. They will donate the remaining funds to the Cancer Society.
To better educate students on breast cancer, our high school health department recently got a new breast model to teach students about breast examination. Even though self-examinations are important it is also important for women over 40 years-old to receive a yearly mammogram.
Every year during Oct., people wear pink shirts or pink ribbons to support the disease but do nothing to enact change. To actually help end this life threatening disease, you can participate in awareness walks, donate money to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, and make sure your friends and family know how to give self-examinations. Who knows, you could be saving a life.