Winter Worries

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Worries

Chris Nobles, Reporter

It’s the most awful time of the year. Despite the Christmas anticipation and festive decorations this holiday season, winters in the Erie area can pose more fear than cheer. Though they risk being called “Scrooge,” some local residents find more cons than pros for the winter including the cold, the early sunsets, and terrible traveling conditions. These things can make living in Erie County more challenging and dreadful during the long winter months.

Starting with the obvious downfall first, it’s very chilly. During the winter months, the temperature in Erie County tends to stay below freezing, forcing many outside plans to go straight out the window. Residents have to bundle up from head to toe for simple trips to convenience stores and students waiting for the bus attest it’s not the greatest part of their day. Dressing warmly and in layers to prevent frostbite, especially on fingers and toes, is very important this time of year. Though the cold is unavoidable, by limiting outdoor time and dressing appropriately it can be tolerated.

Another Christmastime terror is having far less time during the day before losing the hopeful and warm sunlight. During the winter months the sun is up long enough to give residents roughly nine hours of total daylight as it sets around five o’clock. This gives students little time to complete outdoor activities after school before it becomes too dark to see. It’s also dangerous to be driving in the dark, especially in an area heavily populated with deer. During these times of early sunset, remember to drive cautiously and slowly. Despite less hours of daylight, try to host your outdoor activities inside if possible and try to stay off the roads during dark hours.

During winter, traveling can also become a nightmare, especially for new student drivers. Everyone and their grandmother wants to travel around during winter for the holidays but driving on ice is dangerous and traffic slows shoppers down. People who attempt to experience their first white Christmas often experience issues with the very thing they came to witness: snow. They often aren’t used to the ice on the ground, the intense defrosting of cars, and the number of car crashes that occur. Be prepared this season for traffic by heading to destinations early to account for slower traffic and potential car wrecks that halt normal driving.

Some can argue why others should dislike the winter months here in Pennsylvania. It’s easy to claim winter is too cold to do much, dark as soon as students are free, full of traffic blocks and hindrances. At least we can remember the snow will make way for new growth in the spring when maybe we won’t have to feel like a bunch of Grinches any more.