GHMS Broadway Dinner; The Greatest Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

GHMS Broadway Dinner; The Greatest Show

Senior Brennon Songer and juniors Carter Willis and Sam Wagner belt out a tune during Broadway Dinner rehearsals.

Ryan Kulka

Ryan Kulka

Ryan Kulka

Alyvia Carmosino, Reporter

General McLane’s Broadway Dinner started in 1981 with only a few performers. Performances took place in the high school cafeteria under the direction of now now-superintendent Richard Scaletta. Today, Broadway Dinner has produced 125 performances to more than 32,000 people over the last 38 years.

This annual, highly-anticipated Erie county event showcases the musical talents of almost 125 students in a variety of Broadway numbers while the audience enjoys a full course meal. This year’s show sold out all three nights the first day the tickets went on sale.

The show has been under the direction of Mr. Bruce Yates for 31 years. Yates depends on many people to make the show a success including his wife Trisha Yates, who serves as the production supervisor, and his daughter-in-law, Jenna who is the choreographer. Another integral woman who does everything non-performance related behind the scenes is Mrs. Carol Blount.

“I love watching all the kids work so hard to make each song perfect,” stated Blount of favorite part of the dinner. Yates concurred that he loves the work ethic that all of the student have to make every song the best it can’t be. “[I] love seeing the ownership that students take for pieces and how everyone has such a motivational attitude.” He also stated, “[I] love seeing the expression on everyone’s faces when they’re on stage performing.”

As for what Yates is most looking forward to about this year’s broadway dinner, he responded by saying, “I’m looking forward to seeing all of the elements of each piece put together to make one big final product on stage.”  Elements such as costumes, lighting, and staging are integral to making the show a success.

For many students, participating in Broadway Dinner is their favorite thing about the school year.  Senior Taylor Thomas, who has been in the show for four years, says her favorite part about broadway dinner is, “Hell week, because you spend so much time with your friends and creating bonds.” Sophomore Gabe Bayle says he’s looking forward to “Seeing the cumulative finale on the lit up stage at McLane Church.” For junior Monica Garde her favorite part of broadway dinner season is, “Getting to be around your friends and making new ones.” Sophomore Aidan Michaelis said, “I love the team work, bonding, and the family aspect you get while preparing for the final product.”

Some of the numbers to look forward to at this year’s show are “Alexander Hamilton” from the Broadway hit “Hamilton” starring senior Logan Miller; “Super Trouper” from “Mama Mia” staring senior Taylor Thomas, and juniors Clara Enterline and Allie Walsh;’ “Apex Predator” from “Mean Girls” starring juniors Enterline and Katelyn Crum; as well as “Grease Lightning” from “Grease” starring junior Jack Mennow and senior Carlos Mamani.

This year’s Broadway Dinner will be held March 29-31 at McLane Church. Show times will be 6:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday  and 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. If you’re still interested in attending there is still bleacher seating available for $12 on a first come first serve basis. You don’t want to miss the greatest show!