Musicians Empower LGBTQ+ Community

By: Ainsley Ames

Back to Article
Back to Article

Musicians Empower LGBTQ+ Community

Artists like MNEK, Hayley Kiyoko, Troye Sivan, and Kehlani create positivity for the LGBTQ community.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Ainsley Ames, Reporter

In a world where media influences decisions and thoughts of our community, music can be a way for the youth to express their feelings and emotions. Music can be a way of input to help empower and connect to others. No matter if you use it to work out, jam out in the car, or listen to while doing homework, music can be involved in our everyday lives. Songs can be seen as anthems for people throughout the world, especially those in the LGBTQ community.

Artists such as Hayley Kiyoko, Troye Sivan, and Sam Smith not only help to connect LGBTQ youth with one another, but also help to connect LGBTQ youth with their non-LGBTQ peers. When the youth or other members feel as if they cannot connect with others or their friends, sometimes music can help bring together a group of friends. These artists make same sex attraction just as normalized as opposite sex relationships.   

Some even get their songs on the radio. Songs such as “Dance To This” (feat. Ariana Grande) by Troye Sivan, and pop song “Curious” by Hayley Kiyoko has been played on various radio stations around the United States and the rest of the world.

Musicians can be famous in the media, but can also be part of the LGBTQ community unknowningly. These artists include Kehlani and Janelle Monáe. One of the most popular artists is the now deceased lead singer of Queen, Freddie Mercury. Facing many difficulties with his careers, Mercury was one of the first out of many to publicly come out as bisexual. Mercury’s life was even made into a motion picture this year named “Bohemian Rhapsody” that highlighted his struggles with sexuality. This movie brought people together to celebrate the life of Mercury and even received several Oscar nods.

Often times, members of the LGBTQ can feel alone and depressed over not feeling accepted by family or friends. In times when they are feeling lonely and unable to connect, different artists and songs can sometimes make them feel more accepted and less lonely. When LGBTQ artists are shown on awards ceremonies and television shows it helps to normalize them. It’s important when these artists get support from other celebrities to help normalize the idea of LGBTQ songs in mainstream media.

Over time, these artists will hopefully be more noticed in the media. Already there has been so many groundbreaking songs and artists the past couple years, even decades.There is a hope that they will grow in popularity with time. Music can be a gateway to this hopeful acceptance, opening up the minds to those who listen.