Miss Katie’s Pays Tribute to James Conner

Miss Katie and her dancer's at a recent parade.

Peyton Scheuer, Reporter

Have you ever been to one of Miss Katie’s dance recitals? Well if you haven’t, then you should come this year– especially if you are a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Miss Katie’s is a popular dance studio in Edinboro. There are approximately 300 dancers that go there and a majority of them are from GM. Most of the dancers at Miss Katie’s have been dancing there for years and have formed strong bonds with one another.

Miss Katie’s is owned by Katie Staynoff. Staynoff is an inspiration to her students for many reasons, including the fact that she recently fought cancer and won. Diagnosed in April of 2016, Staynoff fought through eight rounds of chemo, surgery, and 33 radiation treatments.

While going through this battle she attended Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp and met McDowell grad, James Conner.  In 2015, Conner discovered he had stage 2 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma after he suffered a MCL tear while playing football for the University of Pittsburgh. He too fought cancer and won and went on to be drafted as a running back for the Steelers in 2017.

Staynoff was already a fan of Conner’s but after knowing his story and relating so much, she wanted to follow in his footsteps. She was so inspired watching him fight through cancer to get back to doing what he loves most that she did the same. She fought through cancer to get back in the studio to do what she loves most, dancing and teaching.

This year, in honor of Conner, Miss Katie’s dancers are dedicating a ballet dance to him. The dancers will be wearing jerseys with his name and number on it in support of his bravery. The ballet will be performed to the Wiz Khalifa hit and Steeler anthem, “Black and Yellow.”

Dancers always anticipate the spring show, but they are super excited to dance this year. “This year for ballet we tried to take on a new challenge by doing a fast song with words. We really have stepped up or game on a different level,” stated sophomore dancer Savannah Yonkin.

If you are not a Steelers fan, you can still expect a great show.  “We’ve been working hard this year to make our recital the best one yet. The recital is “movie themed” and there are amazing numbers from both classic and newer movies. It will be a great show!” said stated senior dancer Kaley Berger.

Miss Katie’s Dance recital will be held at the Louis C. Cole Auditorium at Edinboro University on May 17 at 8:30 p.m. and May 18 at 4 p.m. Tickets usually sell for $7.  Student tickets are $3.

If you’re a Steelers fan, you won’t want to miss this year’s show!