Classic Rock- A Blast From The Past

Courtesy of the Rolling Stones

Rock icons the Rolling Stones photographed in the 1970's.

Joe Lewis and Rachel Lesko

We at the Lancer Ledger decided to take it upon ourselves to inform the students of General McLane about some good ole’ classic rock. Bands from the 1960s, ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s that many of our parents became accustomed to during their heyday revolutionized modern music. 

Unfortunately, many of the students at GM and young adults all around the world have never even heard of some of these bands. A few of the more famous bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Nirvana, everyone had heard of when asked, but when it came to the more diverse and eclectic selections, such as Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Collective Soul, and Soundgarden, among others, many of the students were clueless.  .

Several students have concluded that music has only gone downhill over time, and they do not foresee it ever making a comeback. Some believe that music has lost meaning and has become too indistinguishable. Rinoa McCain, senior, states that “kids haven’t been exposed to interesting music,” and she is glad she “wasn’t one of those kids.” 

Some parents have made an effort in educating their children about previous culture and the way music used to be created. However, not everyone is taught to appreciate the past, and some even teach themselves to acknowledge the significance of that former era. Morgan Shellhamer, senior, claims that “in pop music, the chorus is basically the entire song and it’s very repetitive.” A variety of students agreed that modern music is missing something. A few people defended their arguments by expressing that classical music is nostalgic and no one is going to look back on current music to find any true value. 

In an effort to educate students on classic rock songs by some of the best bands from the past five decades, we have compiled a short playlist of 16 songs, four from each decade we interviewed kids about, for the public to check out.

‘60s

Beast of Burden- The Rolling Stones

Roadhouse Blues- The Doors

Bad Moon Rising- Creedence Clearwater Revival

My Girl- The Temptations

‘70s

Bye Bye Love- The Cars

The Ocean- Led Zeppelin 

Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd

American Girl- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

‘80s

Personal Jesus- Depeche Mode

The One I Love- R.E.M.

I Want To Know What Love Is- Foreigner

Every Breath You Take- The Police

‘90s

Burden In My Hand- Soundgarden

Head Like a Hole- Nine Inch Nails

Shine- Collective Soul

Bullet With Butterfly Wings- Smashing Pumpkins

Fifteen of the finest students were interviewed out of the entire General McLane populace on 15 bands from each decade. Below are the results of the survey. The numbers next to each of the bands indicates how many had never heard of the respective band. Although multiple people have claimed to know the band names, they also admitted to not knowing a single song by that particular band. In a similar manner, when they did not know the band, as Joe listed off a few song names the responder recognized them

The numbers next to the bands indicate how many people, out of 15, knew them.

Survey Results