Children’s Grief Awareness Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Children’s Grief Awareness Day

Highmark Caring Place logo

Highmark Caring Place logo

www.highmarkcaringplace.com

Highmark Caring Place logo

www.highmarkcaringplace.com

www.highmarkcaringplace.com

Highmark Caring Place logo

Kaden Wright, Reporter

Children’s Grief Awareness Day was created in 2008 by the Highmark Caring Place, located in Erie, Pennsylvania. Since then, Children’s Grief Awareness Day is recognized around the world and is always observed on the Thursday before Thanksgiving.

“Children’s Grief Awareness Day is designed to help people become aware of grieving children around the world,” stated Mrs. Hertel, one of the school guidance counselors.

Believe it or not, 1 out of 20 children have experienced the loss of a parent before they have even graduated high school. 

This year, Children’s Grief Awareness Day (CGAD) is on November 21, and many companies, businesses, and organizations will be having events planned throughout the day. Here at GMHS, Mrs. Hertel and seniors Kaitlyn Crum and Cassidy Comer will be organizing the event.  Crum stated, “Our school has a partnership with the Caring Place, which is an organization that helps children who have lost a loved one.”

The Caring Place offers peer support programs, referral services, educational programs, and consultation services across four different offices located in Erie, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Cranberry. 

Many activities are planned by students at the high school to celebrate CGAD. “We will be decorating the school blue, hanging up blue butterflies, and wearing blue. The blue butterflies represent hope.” 

Each year, students also have the opportunity to purchase a blue T-shirt from the Caring Place for $8. All proceeds from the T-shirts go to the Highmark Caring Place. On November 21, you will see students, teachers, and the general public wearing blue in support of this cause.