Families Gather for Thanksgiving Meal

Thanksgiving+dinner

https://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/history-of-thanksgiving

Thanksgiving dinner

Serenity Scantling

In this day and age, eating dinner as a family is much less common as because of electronics, jobs, and other distracting activities. A recent survey shows that 40% of American families eat dinner together up to three times a week and 10% of families don’t eat together at all; however, Thanksgiving may change the dinner time routine for some families.

Jamie Sennett, a sophomore, lives with her mom and dad. “We usually stay home to eat,” she said. On a normal day they eat together and chat about their day, but on Thanksgiving, she eats with her mom’s side of the family. 

Meredith Moore, a freshman, lives with her mom, dad, brother, and brother’s husband. Her family also regularly eats dinner together. Moore explains that her family dinner consists of lots of jokes and teasing. Thanksgiving dinner is similar to any other dinner, they stay home and eat together as a family.

However, celebrating Thanksgiving dinner with your family doesn’t get to happen for everybody. Sebastian Brown, a sophomore, lives with his mom, dad, and brother, but doesn’t have the same opportunity to share a meal with his family every day. “No, I don’t eat with my family because my parents aren’t always home, so I eat in my room,” he explained. However, on Thanksgiving he eats with both sides of his family.

For the most part, not eating together as a family is just a result of overlapping schedules, whether it be that the parents are at work or family members are involved in extracurricular activities.

Torii Sanders, a sophomore, lives with her mom, brother, and a younger sister, but unfortunately they all run on different schedules. “We don’t eat together because all of us have electronics, or someone is doing something, so we don’t have time to sit and eat dinner together,” Torii explained. Yet on Thanksgiving she attends 3 different celebrations: one with her mom, one with her dad, and one with her grandma.

Eating together isn’t always a matter of convenience but rather a matter of preference. Melody Williams, a junior, lives with her mom, stepdad, Cody, and two brothers. “I don’t eat with my family because my step dad puts on movies that I don’t enjoy,” she claims.On thanksgiving though, she eats with her mom’s side of the family because she doesn’t spend time with her father. 

In today’s generation, eating with your family has become a challenge. For those who eat at home, they either find themselves glued to their phones or in the absence of family members. And for those that are elsewhere during dinner time, they miss the opportunity to eat with their family. But thanks to Thanksgiving, families who don’t regularly eat together are given the chance to come together and celebrate.