Coronavirus Crisis

The new disease has Asia and the rest of the world in worry as it sweeps through China.

Coronavirus+Crisis

Michael Paul Stroup, Writer

The quick spreading Coronavirus outbreak has caused concerns, infected thousands, and claimed the lives of hundreds since it was first reported on December 31, 2019. The World Health Organization (WHO) has designated the Coronavirus as a global public health emergency, with fear that the virus will start a pandemic within East Asia and abroad. The virus was believed to have jumped from animals to humans through a food market in Wuhan, China.

In the past three weeks, confirmed cases of the Coronavirus have exponentially increased from around 50 cases in China to over 25,000 cases in at least 23 countries, as reported by the New York Times.    

The city of Wuhan is under a virtual lockdown, with the fear of further spreading the Coronavirus, has the lives of the 11 million inhabitants at a standstill. 

Wuhan barely has enough supplies to care for their ill residents, and many citizens have quarantined themselves in their homes to be protected from the virus’ effects. China itself started the construction of a new super fast hospital to relieve the overwhelmed medical facilities, as reported by The Washington Post. 

Closer to home the Coronavirus seems more of an afterthought than a real threat. Recently the Coronavirus has reached the U.S. and Canada, with the closest confirmed cases to us in Boston and Chicago.

School nurse Sarah Garafalo assured that General McLane School District works closely with the health department, and stated,“If anything were to come up, we would be notified, and vice versa, if student or teacher were to have symptoms of the disease we would notify the health department and follow protocol.”

Garafalo continued, “The Coronavirus is a concern, but as of right now in the United States, [there is] more of a concern for the flu that is affecting our population right now. The Coronavirus in China has been about 20% roughly as severe.” 

Garalfalo gave some suggestions on how the school would deal with varying illnesses. “People with severe illness should be screened and monitored routinely, stay up to date on their vaccinations, and routinely see their doctor, especially if they’re ill.”