The Scoop on Broadway Dinner

Rynn Hurrle

The Broadway Dinner cast is practicing their dances for auditions.

Shannon Marquis, Reporter

“We are always preparing for Broadway Dinner. The team started with about 45 suggestions for the play and paired it down to the current 21,” Musical Director Bruce Yates stated. 

“The selections are from a variety of shows from current to classic,” Yates said. Songs that will be featured are from “American Idiot,”Beetlejuice,” “Chicago,” “Cinderella,” “Evita,” “Grease,” “Hadestown,” “Hamilton,” “Head Over Heels,” “Jagged Little Pill,” “Newsies,” “Spamalot,” “West Side Story,” and others. Students will be able to audition for one of the 21 pre-selected pieces, including dancing and solo selections.

“The competition is going to be extremely tight. The participants learned their vocal audition cuts and decided which selections they are interested in being part of.” Auditions were hosted Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. “There [were] three dance audition segments that all students [were] required to learn. These auditions determine each student’s skill level and what selections they are compatible with based on its level of difficulty.”  

The Broadway Dinner will be held at the newly renovated McLane Church. The Church has had a complete remodel since a hail storm in 2019. Everyone involved is “super excited about the opportunity to be one of the first events to use [the new space],” Yates stated. The renovated performing space is the only format change in the show. 

The Broadway Dinner classes have spent many hours getting ready for the first wave of practices after auditions. Preparing for the Broadway Dinner is “a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun to research all the different songs,” Yates mentioned. Ideas come from not only the directors, but from students too. “We get a lot of really great ideas…that we would never have thought about…from students.” With the new talent coming from the middle school to the high school, new and returning high school performers and the directors are sure to put on a great show this year.

Tickets to this year’s Broadway Dinner are currently on sale in the high school office.  Performances will take place the weekend of March 27.