Coronavirus Ignites Panic Across the Globe

Faith MOrro

The empty milk case at Wegman’s on Peach Street after the March 13 announcement that schools would be closed for two weeks.

Gabe Williams, Reporter

Editor’s note: This article was written on 3/12 prior to the announcement that Pennsylvania schools would be closed.

Despite everything else made in China, coronavirus, or COVID-19, has lasted longer than just a couple of weeks.  Hysteria, and COVID-19, has spread across the globe at an alarming rate. The panic has risen to such an extreme level that whole countries, like disease-riddled Italy, have essentially shut down. Germany is also threatened to be plagued here very shortly due to their rising number of cases.

As of March 11t, the death toll within the U.S. has risen to 32, but other countries have suffered far more fatalities. A common rebuttle to the coronavirus outrage is that “more people die from the flu,” however, exponentially more people are infected with the flu than the coronavirus therefore warranting substantial concern amongst people. The fatality rate is much higher for COVID-19.

Within the United States, events nationwide–such as the ever-so-popular Coachella music festival–have been postponed. Other events suffering include the NBA that will postpone all events and the MLB stands being essentially empty for iupcoming games. Then there’s the subtle effects such as empty restaurants, vacant airports, and ghost-town malls that are impacting the economy of not only the United States, but the world.

Universities are even beginning to prepare for the expected spread of the disease by canceling classes or preparing alternative ways to educate students. WVU for one has cancelled classes for two weeks to prevent the disease from spreading. Edinboro University has prepared for COVID-19 by extending spring break and switching over to online classes for the week following spring break.

As a result of this panic, superstores across the United States are experiencing shortages of sanitation products such as bleach, hand sanitizer, and soap. Also, there are the less expected items like toilet paper and paper towels that are flying off the shelves just as quickly as sanitation products. 

Many states are beginning to limit the maximun amount of people allowed at a gathering and President Trump even went as far as to suspend travel from all European countries, except the United Kingdom.

Ways to prevent contracting and spreading COVID-19 include limiting unnecessary public interaction, refraining from touching things such as public door handles with your hands, using things like public restrooms and water fountains, and stocking up on sports drinks, Ibuprofen, cough syrup, lysol wipes, hand sanitizer (if you can get it), and last but definitely not least, toilet paper.

As far as General Mclanes’s plan to educate students if COVID-19 becomes present in our area, students will be assigned work online to be completed on a daily basis, therefore showing that they were “present” that day, and still, in fact,  learning. This concept is called: Flexible Instructional Days, but let’s hope COVID-19 doesn’t become a large enough threat that this option is necessary.