Flexible Instruction Day: A Big Hit?

Will flexible instruction days become the norm with the CoVid-19 virus closing schools and non-essential businesses?

Mallory Grucza, Reporter

Editor’s note: This article was finalized on March 12, prior to the Governor’s announcement that Pennsylvania schools would be closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Students experienced a different school experience on March 13: the Flexible Instructional Day. Both students and teachers went to school, but they were in the comfort of their own homes. The FID was a way to make up for the February 27 snow day without actually coming to school, but it also served as a practice for what the school district would have to do in case the coronavirus came to the area. 

The school district is the only one in Erie County that opted to have approval for FIDs in the 2019-2020 school year. According to a statement on the district’s website, the PA Department of Education approved the school district to utilize up to five Flexible Instructional Days per year. It almost seems like a privilege to have FIDs, but some students don’t think it’s a great idea.

Prior to the Flexible Instructional Day, students had mixed feelings about the idea of having a school day at home. Some students like the idea of having a FID, especially because they can stay at home. Freshman Sam Cain said, “I think it is a great opportunity to test the new program, and this option is better than going to school for a missed day.” On the contrary, some students feel like tech FID is not a good idea because they might not get their work done since they are not at school.      

To freshman Abbie Greenleaf, the FID “is not a good idea because not many people will want to wake up and do school work from home. I feel like we should come to school instead of making up a snow day or just do all of the work the day before so we can still have a day off.” It is inevitable that new ideas will not please everyone, but the main goal was for the school district to make a plan in case the coronavirus spreads to the area. 

The coronavirus has been spreading rapidly and is already in Pennsylvania, but there is no way to tell if or when it could reach the area. The Center for Disease Control has asked that schools prepare, plan, and practice in the event the coronavirus pandemic shuts down schools. It was very important for the first FID to go well, because in the event the coronavirus comes to Erie County, most schools would have to be shut down. If worse comes to worse, all General McLane students could possibly have to stay in school until June 30.