General McLane Trap Team Prepares for Second Season

Savannah Yonkin

Gabe Williams takes aim.

Gabe Williams, Reporter

Last year GMHS introduced a clay target team for students grades 6-12. The team was a huge success and over twenty students participated. The team also placed seventh in the state at last year’s competition. 

This year, however, the team has over thirty participants signed up and hopes to reach top 5 at states. 

Returning team members are also excited for the upcoming season. When asked his goals for the year, sophomore Gus Guzik replied: “I’d like to place at states and shoot a straight 50.”

With the influx of new shooters it’s important that veterans, like sophomore Kole Repine, help take a leadership role to better the team. His words of advice to new shooters are to “practice hard and to shoot every time like it’s nationals.” Guzik advised, “Don’t let anything get in your head, and just have fun with it.”

Participants shoot at 25 clay targets per round and are scored based on how many were hit. For every competition, participants will shoot two rounds while revolving between five stations per round. Five clay targets are launched per position. Averages per round will be determined from there

Practices will begin on March 29 at Gem City Outdoors Club at 1 p.m. competitions will follow at the same time and location in weeks to follow.