Shamrock Shake Golden Anniversary

Usatoday.com

Kyle Cousins, Reporter

The green, minty McDonald’s drink is back. The famous Shamrock Shake is a vanilla milkshake blended with mint “Shamrock flavor,”  topped with whipped cream. The green treat is not the healthiest, but it is always delicious. The dessert, which was released Feb 19, celebrates the Irish holiday St. Patrick’s day. McDonald’s is also celebrating its 50th anniversary of their famous shake this year.

Many GM students anticipate the release of the shake every year. Sophomore, Cam Calabrese stated. “ I loves the Shamrock Shake. The mint flavor really gets me going.”  Although many are fans, some are not. Senior Rinoa McCain, an employee at McDonald’s, says the shake is “overrated.” Whether a fan of the shake or not, the shake serves as a sign of spring to many.

The Shamrock Shake, created by Hal Rosen, was released for the first time in select locations throughout the U.S. in 1970. The Connecticut McDonald’s owner’s drink proved to be a great success. According to Fox News, over 60 million Shakes have been sold since 1970. Putting up huge numbers, the shakes return every St. Patrick season. However, the shake was briefly discontinued in the 1990s. But due to popular demand, the shake was brought back in the 2000s. It has been available regionally throughout the U.S. ever since.

McDonald’s is holding a fundraiser to celebrate the 50 years of the Shamrock Shake. The fundraiser will benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities. This year McDonald’s is auctioning off an 18-karat, gem-encrusted Shamrock Shake cup for the drinks golden anniversary. All the proceeds from the estimated $90,000 cup will go to Ronald McDonald House. The gold cup is decorated with “50 green emeralds and white diamonds — representing 50 years of Shamrock Shake flavor and delicious whipped topping. There are 50 yellow diamonds in each of the Golden Arches for 50 years of being a fan fave at McDonald’s.”  McDonalds also released an Oreo Shamrock McFlurry.

The new McFlurry is the original Oreo McFlurry with the minty Shamrock sauce. “We’re excited to serve up a new way to experience the one-of-a-kind Shamrock flavor in our new Oreo Shamrock McFlurry,” explained Linda VanGosen, McDonald’s vice president of menu innovation. “Our chefs worked to get the perfect balance of Oreo cookies and mint for this new delicious dessert.” With the new addition to the menu, McDonald’s has a Shamrock treat for milkshake lovers or someone who would rather use a spoon.

The two delicious desserts can be found at many McDonald’s nationwide. Whether consumers are super-fans of the mint treat or newcomers, many agree that the snack is very good. Small shakes, only cost $2.19, all the way to a large, costing $2.99, which are on sale now. If you are feeling in a festive St. Patrick’s mood and want to find out what you think of the shake, or new flurry, head to the nearest McDonald’s and try one yourself before they are gone.