Wrestling and Swimming & Diving State Qualifiers

GM Wrestling Facebook

Wrestling Coach Cook presents Jackson Spires with his medal.

Aaron Cornejo-Lopez, Reporter

As winter sports come to a close, General McLane had seven PIAA State qualifiers: two wrestlers and five swimmers.

For the wrestlers, juniors Jackson Spires and Matt Leehan advanced to Hershey for Individual States held Mar. 7-8. 

Spires placed 7th at the PIAA Individual States for the 145 weight class with a 3-2 record and finished 29-5 on the season. Spires suffered a torn meniscus during the season, but recovered enough to wrestle during states.Spires is the 29th student from GM to place in individual states. In an interview with Spires, when asked how he felt about placing he stated, “I feel pretty good. I put a lot of hard work in the season and it paid off. [It’s been] a hard year…to push through the pain and deal with it”. Spires plans to get surgery for the meniscus Mar. 13.

Leehan was a champion at the Tool City tournament as well as the Fred Bell tournament and Sections. Leehan wrestled for the 132 weight class. Leehan finished at states with a 2-2 record and was 42-9 on the season. 

For the swimmers and divers, seniors Ryan Hess, Macie Peyton, and Hollin Williams, and freshmen Catrina Miller and Kaitlyn Crosscut are representing. The three seniors plan to leave General McLane with a bang at Bucknell University. 

In an interview with Crosscut she stated, “[I’m] excited to qualify since I’m one of the first girls to qualify in 12 years.” Crosscut and Miller are the first female GM swimmers in years to advance in single events. GM will be participating in the 400 free relay, 200 IM, and 100 fly.

“I think we have a strong chance at placing well as a team,” Hess commented. “We have strong girl swimmers and Jack and I are ready for diving.” Whether in the water or on the mat, GM has been fortunate enough to put forth seven state qualifiers in the 2019-20 season. 

Competitions were originally March 12-14, but due to Covid-19, the event was cancelled. Hess said the team was pretty upset. The competition will tentatively be rescheduled for two weeks later, around March 26.