Should Teachers be Paid More?

National Center for Education Statistics

Teacher salaries through 1970-2010 in the U.S

Aurora Odell, Reporter

Teachers have a big impact on students and the environment they grow up in. Teachers go beyond school curriculums and standards and work to inspire, challenge, and bond with their students. However, teachers are not being paid enough within the united states.

Teachers being paid more is essential because they are the ones who teach and educate upcoming generations and are the ones who form the pathways to future leaders, doctors, educators, and many other essential members of society. Some people may argue that teachers shouldn’t be paid more because their degree was more easily attainable than other degrees such as computer science. They believe that when the benefits and wages are taken into the factor that the teacher pay is actually too high, especially considering their degree being easily attainable. 

Although teachers may seem to have an easier degree, the job itself is time-consuming and teachers buy a lot of their own supplies. Over 92% of teachers pay for their classroom supplies out of their own pockets, according to Ninive Calgari, a teacher and activist. According to a report by Mckinsey and Company is teacher salaries had grown proportionally to classroom spending, teachers on average would make $120,000 a year, which is about double the national average.

Another argument that is made is that teachers have summers off, and while they technically are not teaching, many teachers spend their summers attending board meetings and making lesson plans. Teachers on average work 50 hours a week according to NEA Today magazine, which is higher than the average American which is 34.4 hours. This means teachers actually work more than the average American.

There are many misconceptions regarding teacher’s wages and their time spent working. Teachers work hard and long hours and spend lots of their own money to ensure that their students are getting a good education so that future generations can become great leaders, yet they are not paid enough and are working more than they are currently paid for.