Editorial: Should College Students be Reimbursed for Online School?

Calleigh Nurse, Reporter

According to Forbes.com, student loan debt in 2020 is about 1.56 trillion dollars. Student loan debt is a serious crisis that is the second highest consumer debt category in the United States. So, as COVID-19 has forced highschool and college students to continue their education in an online setting, the question arises whether these students should receive a partial reimbursement.

“(Students) should receive at least some money for the spring 2020 semester. Of course their housing and dining bills,” stated Monica Garde, who plans on attending Slippery a Rock University next year as a freshman.

Many colleges, like Harvard, Amherst, and Smith College, announced that their students would in fact receive money for their room and board bills. However, the issue is more complicated for state schools and community colleges. If State schools partially reimbursed their students, it would result in a huge loss of money for the college; up to 100 million dollars.

Garde continued, “I believe that online classes are worth less than in-person ones. There is a huge disconnect through the new classes.”

Many students are struggling to make the original payments. Many Americans come from low income families, or are first generation college students. The online classes make many students feel like they are being “short changed.” High schools as well as colleges have shortened the final semester.

Junior James Laird, who plans on attending college stated that “It’s a complicated situation. If college tuition remains at full price, some students may need more financial aid. However, the whole economy is suffering at the moment.”

To conclude, students should receive some form of reimbursement. Whether it be financial aid, lower loan interest, or reimbursement on their tuition