Athletic Signing Day

Nate Jones, Reporter

Signing Day is an important day for every college athlete. It is a day for you to show off where you are going to be going for the next 4-5 years. Where you can sign in front of the whole school. But with this whole Pandemic, Signing Day had to be altered for the class of 2020.

Mr. Kennerknecht, the Athletic Director at General McLane, still wanted to find a way to still honor those student athletes who are moving on in their athletic careers. This year General McLane had decided to do a “Mobile Signing Day.” That is for 2 days Mr. K, Mr. Mennow, and Ms. Mackowski all drove to each of the athletes houses, quickly set up a table, a backdrop, and a lancer statue in the yard or driveway and had the athletes sign with their families.

“It was a unique process, and they tried to make it feel as special as possible” said Clarion signee Ben Lipinski. Penn State Behrend signee Christine Patterson thought, “It was pretty cool that the school went out of their way and did all of that for us,”

One thing that got everyone to play at the next level is hard work. But with quarantine, it’s difficult to maintain that level of fitness, but student athletes are adapting. Like future Seton Hill runner Devyn Bayle, who goes to the track or out to the trails almost everyday to run. A lot of coaches are sending out “at home” programs to do, so future Slippery Rock athlete Ali Lamoreaux is participating in those and so is Thiel Volleyball player Grace Williams. Lipinski is taking this time to focus on the  football playbook and learn everything so he can be more prepared when he gets to camp in the fall. Ben-Howe Jones, who is going to play football at Division-1 UAlbany can’t wait to get there and play.  “Since day one, I felt the family vibe there.” But with the global pandemic he’s been using his time to play the guitar and watch movies and workout as much as he can.

General McLane had 11 student athletes sign. They are:

• Ben Howe-Jones (UAlbany, Football)
  • Ben Lipinski (Clarion, Football)
  • Billy Jukes (Edinboro, Football)
  • Nate Jones (Clarion, Football)
  • Christine Patterson (Penn State Behrend, Soccer)
  • Amy Patterson (Penn State Behrend, Soccer)
  • Ali Lamoreaux (Slippery Rock, Track & Field)
  • Devyn Bayle (Seton Hill, Cross Country)
  • Katelyn Crum (Penn State Behrend, Track & Field)
  • Grace Williams (Thiel, Volleyball)
  • Rachel Kaulis (Thiel, Basketball)
  • Alyvia Carmosino(Penn State Behrend, Competitive Cheer).

We are so proud of all of them and we wish them all luck in their future endeavors.