Good Grief! Covid Can’t Stop the GM Musical!

The GMHS Theater Department will be presenting the musical

wgrt.com

The GMHS Theater Department will be presenting the musical “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” during the 202021 school year.

Katelynne Langer, Reporter

With Coronavirus precautions, the General McLane Theater Department was approved with presenting the musical, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.”

On Wednesday September 16, an informational meeting occurred for any vocal music or theater department students interested in this year’s musical. The Theater Department decided to have the musical entirely virtual.

“The musical this year will be completely virtual. The entire show will be filmed,” Mr. Yates said. “We plan on using green screens and special filming effects to enhance each scene. The cast will experience what it is like to film a movie.”

Performing in a movie without an audience can be different from performing a musical in front of a live audience.

“I am excited, because it’s not like anything I’ve ever done before, because it’s going to be like filming a movie, where each person films individually in front of the green screen,” senior Abby Johnson said.

Although there will not be an actual audience for the performance, there are still many benefits.

“When it comes to performing for a virtual audience, there are pros and cons. It is always good to have a live audience for comedic purposes and live reactions to the show,” senior Kellen Smith said. “On the upside, we don’t have to memorize everything at once because it is being prerecorded.”

“You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” script (Mr. Yates)

For the past few years, the musicals have had many mature characters, but this year, the students will be performing the parts of younger characters.

“Playing a younger character will definitely be a new experience, because we’re used to darker and more mature shows and characters,” Abby Johnson said. “I think it will be a challenging and fun change.”

Buying tickets to view the performance will be a different procedure than previous years.

“Tickets to view the performance will be made available through the ticketing and live streaming service called ShowTix4U,” Mr. Yates said. “This company will make the show available over a four day period, and there will be links for people to purchase a ticket.”

While the musical performances are usually in November, this year it will be a little later.

“The dates of the performances have yet to be determined. The show will most likely be made available for streaming sometime in mid December,” Mr. Yates said. “We will post the dates, times, and links on the district website when we have a better understanding of when the final product will be ready.”

“You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” will be a musical like no other.

“We chose this show because it consists of several vignettes that can easily be shot in remote locations and allow us to follow the Covid-19 safety protocols for indoor performances,” Mr. Yates said.