The Office Fans vs. Netflix vs. NBC

IMDb

Some characters from “The Office” starting with the left Ryan Howard (played by BJ Novak), Pam Beesly (played by Jenna Fischer), Jim Halpert (played by John Krasinski), Dwight Schrute (played by Rainn Wilson), and Michael Scott (played by Steve Carell).

Caleigh Meyer, Reporter

“The Office,” a classic mockumentary with some of the most beloved characters in sitcom history, has been available to stream on Netflix for the past 15 years.  Yet, starting in January 2021, what is known by many as one of America’s finest TV shows will be removed off of Netflix.

Originally airing on NBC, “The Office” ran for nine seasons from 2005-2013.  Now the first home of “The Office,” has decided to create their own streaming service, Peacock, where the show will be available to stream. Netflix is being paid 500 million dollars from NBC to remove “The Office” from their offerings. This may seem completely like a ridiculously crazy sum of money, but “The Office” remains in Netflix’s top 10 shows and brings in millions of views per year. 

As someone who has watched “The Office” around 29 times, “The Office” continues to offer cinematic pleasure, with its hilarious material. Sophomore Maddie Weed agrees stating, “I love ‘The Office’ because it has such great unique comedy material.”

NBC’s Peacock service starts with a free subscription, but you have to watch your shows with ads or commercials. For their premium subscription, you get more shows and no ads for $5 a month. This seems like a reasonable price for a streaming service the offers other American classics like “Parks and Rec” and “Saturday Night Live.”

As to why “The Office” couldn’t be streamed on both Netflix and Peacock is due to the views Netflix would continue to get. No customer would want to pay for Peacock for their favorite show when they could watch it free on a bigger, better platform like Netflix. 

Sophomore Delaney Fickle states, “The only platform I stream the show on is Netflix, so I am pretty upset that it is being taken off. I’ve seen a few episodes aired on TV, but it’s not the same. I don’t think I would pay for another streaming service just for one show.”

Unfortunately for us “Office” fans, we will have to scrounge up our couch money for NBC’s service without ads or suffer without our favorite TV show.