How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected students’ mental health?

Marin O’Lone, Reporter

Over the course of the last year and a half, the coronavirus pandemic has affected many students as well as their mental health. The pandemic has caused stress, anxiety, and even depression in the students. School has become an irritation instead of a learning opportunity and home has become draining instead of a place to relax due to unfinished schoolwork.

Freshman, Ali Hess, feels, “The pandemic has definitely made me more anxious about when everything will open back up again. It has also caused me to procrastinate important things like schoolwork.”

As seen from Hess, a sense of normalcy is lacking in students and causes them to feel these symptoms. 

Sophomore, Maddie Foradori, says, “The pandemic has put a lot of strain on my mental health. It’s made me less productive and more likely to procrastinate.”

The isolation, suspense, and the unknowingness of the pandemic has triggered many students’ emotional well being, therefore, causing them to be unmotivated at times.

Foradori, shares, “One day I might do schoolwork for six hours straight and the next I find myself only able to work in 15 minute chunks.”

Many students have made successful attempts to help their mental health via a variety of methods.

Foradori said, “I’ve started setting timers to force myself to start doing homework. I’ve dedicated an hour after lunch to let myself fully step away from school to play a game or watch something to give myself a reset.”

It can be seen that through this unique situation the students have experienced many downs that heavily affect them, both mentally and emotionally. Through the downs they have also had many ups. The students feel that it’s important to find the good in even the worst situations.

Guidance counselor, Brenda Hertel, shares, “Students are definitely more withdrawn.” If you find yourself struggling, Hertel says, “Come down to the guidance office, talk to teachers, try to get involved in any type of outdoor activities, and stay off of your screen as much as possible.”

Although students may feel alone during this time, Hertel and other counselors are there for everyone who needs help.

Sophomore, Sami Bennett, shares, “It has given me more time with myself. In self isolation all you have is yourself, so you get to know more about yourself and your mental health.”

The coronavirus pandemic, unique in its own ways, has drastically affected many students and their well being. 

“Even taking a break to pet my cat makes a big difference!” Foradori shares.